DSME to cooperate with CB&I to develop large liquid hydrogen carrier

escveritas
Site Admin
Singapore

DSME to cooperate with CB&I to develop large liquid hydrogen carrier

Unread post by escveritas »

Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering prepares for the hydrogen energy era in line with the carbon-free era.

Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering (CEO Park Doo-sun) announced on the 13th that it had signed a business agreement with CB&I, a subsidiary of McDermott, an American energy-specialized engineering company, to develop technology for a large liquid hydrogen carrier.

Liquid hydrogen is considered to be an essential part of the hydrogen economy because it is more advantageous for transportation and storage than gaseous hydrogen. In particular, as technology development in the field of storage and transportation of liquid hydrogen is currently in full swing in countries around the world, marine transportation of liquid hydrogen is expected to increase in the future.

Through this agreement, the two companies discussed the technology of applying a large liquid hydrogen storage tank to a ship and the main technology constituting a liquid hydrogen carrier, and decided to establish a close cooperative relationship in the future.

In particular, CB&I has accumulated more than 130 years of experience and capabilities in the field of building related storage facilities, such as manufacturing and supplying the world's largest liquefied hydrogen storage tank to NASA's Kennedy Space Center in the United States.

Through this cooperation, Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering is expected to contribute to enhancing the technological perfection for realizing large-scale liquid hydrogen carriers by grafting technology for large-sized liquid hydrogen storage tanks suitable for ships.

An official from Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering said, "If Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering's world-class shipbuilding technology and CB&I's storage tank-related technology and experience are secured, the Korean shipbuilding industry will be able to maintain the world's best position in the field of large liquid hydrogen carriers." said end.

Return to “Shipping”